Friday, August 31, 2007

HTC! Me Hulk! Me Running! Me had FUN!






Wooo! Hooo! Hood to Coast Relay! What a fun and intense race! It was quite an experience! The best part was bonding as a team! Look at these cool pics! We had a crazy blast together! That group pic is our whole team! Wooo - I love them! We were the Incredible Holt's (my mom's maiden name, it was most all my mom's side of the family on the the team). The Hulk was our mascot.
The 197 mile race started at Mount Hood (OR). Van 1 started us off at 8:00 am Friday, Aug. 24th. We had two vans - I was in Van 2 - we split the team in half as we all ran different sections of the race. We each ran three different times. I ran section #9, which was the longest distance out of all the sections. My first Leg was 6.8 miles, which I started at about 3:30 pm. It was on a paved trail the whole time which was nice. My second Leg was 5.0 miles, which I started at about 2:30 am. This was easy, yet annoying. The whole run was on a decline, so it made it very easy, but the entire run was on a gravel road and all the vans from the other teams were passing us runners, which made it very dusty. I had a paper painters mask, which helped, but also felt restricting. But it was the Leg that I ran the very fastest - 8.55 min mile. COOL! The third and final Leg for me, was 7.8 miles. I was pretty nervous leading up to it, because after running 11.8 miles and having my longest Leg last, I was not sure how my body would do. But, it turned out great! I kept a steady pace and ran the whole Leg, along the beautiful country of Oregon. I ran it in 8 minutes less than I anticipated. My leg muscles were pretty tight after, but not too much limping.
Then we all waited at the finish line while Marie - my aunt, and our awesome team cpt., ran the last Leg to finish our relay! We finished at about 5:30 pm Saturday. Then we all joined her for a run across the finish line! It was so damn fun! I hope I get to do it again some day soon. The race ended at Seaside Beach, where booths were set up and lots of free stuff. It was great to be with all the team at the end! Truly - such an emotional bonding experience!
I loved seeing our other team mates from Van 1 and hugging them and cheering eachother on, at the Van exchanges. My greatest experience was on my runs, knowing that my team in my van would be waiting for me with water or what ever I needed along the run! I loved seeing them as I approached different points of the run. Each of the other people had their spouse their running on the team, and their to take care of them. Yet it was so touching for me to have almost everyone in my van each time, there waiting to cheer me on, and get water or gatorade or a towel to me. I want to thank each one of them for showing their love in such a perfect way. It was tough not having Scott there (not that he didn't want to be), but my team was there and it was perfect!
SO GREAT! I am so glad we did it! I love my team!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Amy - You're hardcore!!! You long distance running woman!!! I loved being with you for HTC!!

Love,
Aunt Cath

beck said...

Woo! Woo! We are the champions! Loved being there with you!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

My favortie is on our video of you. At leg 12 you were all waiting for me, and you say with your hulk hands: Don't make me angry!! And you say it while trying not to laugh. We need to get tapes to everyone soon!

It was Awesome!!