Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy- Late St. Patrick's Day!!!

I absolutely LOVE St. Patrick's Day!!! I am not sure why, but it is such a fun holiday. I love whereing Green and pinching those who don't (not really, but its fun to pretend that I will). It was funny, I told Hana about the pinching thing, and all she did when Scott got home was pinch him until he put green on.

Hardly anyone remembers it. Maybe I, as well as the rest of my family, remember it and celebrate it because it is also my Fantastic brother Brad's birthday. He turned 27 this year!! Happy Birthday Bro.!!!
The kids and I had a fun time celebrating this great holiday by making Irish Brown Bread, or Irish Soda Bread. It was very fun for Hana to squish and stir with her hands.
It is very easy to make!!! Its also fun to make ANY time!!! It is healthy too!!!

Irish Brown Bread (Recipe):

2 1/4 C. whole wheat flour

2 1/4 C. all purpose flour (white)

1 1/2 C. rolled oats

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

2 1/2 C buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk you can add 1 Tbl. of vinegar to each Cup of regular milk you need, stir and let it sit for a few minutes- I never have buttermilk so I always do this in recipes - thanks for that trick mom!!)

-- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Combine all the dry ingredients and mix. Then add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and stir til blended pretty well. Then add the rest of the buttermilk and stir it up. (I let Hana pour in the most of the ingredients and stir it the whole time. Then at the end I mixed the last little bits to make it even)

It is very stick dough. You plop it and shape it in a ball (no bread pan needed) on a baking stone or pan. NO RISING NEEDED - yah hoo! Then using a big knife to score a deep X in the top, widening it with the sides of the blade as you cut.

Then bake it for about 45 - 50 minutes at 400 degrees. Check it at 40 min. When it is golden brown it is done.

It makes a crusty dense loaf - about 7 or 8 inches wide. Enjoy!

So easy! And as you can see Hana loved it. My whole family thought it was delish.

3 comments:

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Snow White did a wonderful baking job. That bread looks yum, I will have to try.

Cathy said...

I've never heard of this bread!! I'm so excited to try it!! No rising! Yay!!!

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

It is very easy and yummy! Everyone needs to make it at least once!!! :)