Sunday, March 9, 2008

7 Layer Dip!!! Yuuuummm!!!


This is one of my favorite appetizers. First of all I love anything delicious that one can dip chips into. I also love Mexican food that has been Americanized! Authentic Mexican food is also very delicious! So I thought I would post this picture of this evenly spread dip on this chip I so endulgingly enjoyed after I took the picture. People everywhere know how to make delicious 7 layer dip (Although the kind with taco seasoning in the dip somewhere, in my opinion over powers the rest of the topping flavors and makes it too much to bare sometimes, yuck- not to say that I won't eat it though if it is there, :))
* * *
However my favorite is the kind I grew up on - the kind my wonderful mama made so often.
Here is the ever so delicious recipe and instructions on how to make it just right - as I remember it how my mom taught me . . . with one or two adjustments.
* * *
First have all your 7 layers purchased and ready to layer in the pan (cookie sheet for big groups, 13x9 for medium size groups, and 8x8 for your family of 2 to 5 people. - Some like to put tin foil in the bottom first for easy clean-up, yet I have experienced biting into a small chuck of tinfoil after dipping, so be careful when you dip.)
Listed in the order that they are layered in the pan first to last (bottom layer to top layer):
-Refried Beans (I like Vegetarian)
-Guacamole (my mom used to always smash her own avocados, which is delicious if you can find them at a good price. Otherwise I just buy a container of premade Guac.)
-Sour Cream (I buy the Fat Free "Daisy" brand - it tastes just as good)
-Shredded Cheese
-Tomatoes
-Olives
-Diced Green Onions
* * *
Now a few tips:
Spread the Refried Beans, Guac, and Sour Cream pretty evenly the same - I have tasted some where the Refried Beans are too thick or one of the other ones and it doesn't taste as delicious or evenly flavored. My mom taught me to spread the Refried Beans pretty thin where you can still see some of the pan a little bit on a few parts, because you never have as much Guac or S.C. to even out the Beans if you spread them thick.
Then sprinkle the other toppings on. It ends of being so colorful and fabulous. Enjoy!

3 comments:

KaufusiFamily said...

I love this post. Everytime I eat 7-layer dip it takes me back to the good 'ol days of high school. Where we would always make this dip for get togethers. However... we would always try to add a few more layers and make it into a 8 or 9-layer dip. Lisa would always add the finishing touch of goldfish crackers. hahaha.

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

Yes, I love HS memories. SOOO good!!!

James said...

Amy,

How are you?! I didn't know any other way to get in touch with you so I thought maybe I could post a comment. I saw your blog address on the card that you sent my parents and wanted to say 'hey.' Wow, it's been a long time! I hope things are well -- the Glauser gang looks like it's having fun...as usual. :) I'm living in Boston, but am here this week until Monday night. I don't know if you guys are around, but if so, I'd love to drop by and say hi at some point. If you could email (jamesvgarrett@gmail.com) me or call (646-761-1457), I'd love to at least say hello.

All my best,
James Garrett