Saturday, February 23, 2008

Is the rumor true . . .?

A few people have called me, asking if the rumor is true - and yes it is. My mom is getting married - to a nice man named Jeff Shmuts (I think that is how his last name is spelled - pronounced "Smoots"). Last I heard they were thinking of May 10th - this year of course - so tentatively mark your calendars. I am not sure if it will be a small or large wedding - but it sounds like it will be in someone's backyard.

(Beware - if you don't want to know how I really feel about all this - please don't keep reading :))

Initial reactions:

- surprised (but not)
- excited and very happy (for my mom - we all knew she would not or could not be "alone" for too long - she is still young - and now we know she's still got it goin' on.)
- nervous or questioning (for how it would affect my younger siblings)
- anticipation (to get to know him and his family)
- curiousity (Hmmm . . . what will this be like?)

-Wow - 3 Jeff's in the family (Mom's brother, my brother, and now her husband) - (we teased that Becky and Cami are only aloud to marry a Brad or a Michael now- since I married a Scott. :))

A few Initial questions (I have asked - and addressed with mom):

- Have you (mom) even told Dad's family you are dating? (they are all informed now :))


-How soon are they planning on getting married?

- How does his (Jeff) family feel about it? (that is a continual question)

- Who is this guy? (I have only met him once)

- How will this affect us all? (his family, our family, etc)

- Where is Jeff and his family at with the fact that we don't practice their religion? (This is always a big question for most people - and the fact of the matter is, that it matters to people (like myself). Spirituality is important to many people in religious settings and non-religious settings.)

Current thoughts, questions, and feelings: ( have shared all these with my mom)
Wow! I am not sure how much I should share of these things - I may keep it simple for now.

- How much of my mom will we be losing to this new family? (some may be shocked that I and others in my family have this question - but it is a real feeling and thought - perhaps the same question comes up for his kids about Jeff.)

- Why do they have to rush things so quickly? (there are a lot of people involved here)

- When I comment to friends or family that I feel Mom and Jeff are moving a little too fast, a couple people have said "Well, you and Scott were only engaged a couple months" or they give other examples of other people and when they first got married (at age 20 or so) I feel like that is a very unrelated, and perhaps dumb response to my concern. And I have two responses for it:
-- 1- It was our or those people's 1st marriage in their early 20's (we only had us to worry about.)
-- 2 - They have 13 children, spouses, and grandchildren to blend into the family along with their marriage, with life long history's of relationships and traditions (small and big) with each other and with our parents, alive and deceased. (it won't hurt anyone to wait for a few to several more months to help everyone perhaps get to know each other, make it a little more smooth - I am excited to blend traditions and relationships, but lets make it a happy experience, all around.)

- I also find it funny when I share any frustrations with people who have never experienced a divorce, or remarriage, or blending families, etc. - they totally shut down, or try to change the subject to a conversation with a more happy topic. Why does it always have to be bunnies and flowers with everyone? (okay - not everyone, I guess just some people)

- I am so glad I have my brother Brad to talk to!!! (we keep it real ;) - thanks bro.)

(I better end on a lighter note - for the bunnies and flowers kind of people - sure love ya!)

- I still am very excited for my mom and I am looking forward to meeting Jeff's kids. I think we are a fun family and it sounds like they are too. So, I know it will work out in it own time - and who knows maybe we eventually won't be able to live without each other.



TYF!

5 comments:

beck said...

Ditto on the post . . . I think we all have these questions and wonderings about how it will be. oh and i figured out what tyf is. :)

Alex and Heather said...

Thanks for the insights cuz! This is big news and all those reactions are valid. Hey! Glad for the blogging world to keep us extendies informed! Love ya and btw, you guys need to come to Seattle!

Cathy said...

Amy-Your feelings are absolutely awesome and I'm impressed that you can put it all into words. I am a person that asked you/Brad some of the questions you remarked on. I completely understand the "how much of my Mom will we be losing!" It's completely ligit - You're married and you know that your relationship with a spouse is special. I also see why the religion question is on your mind. I'm not sure what the "spiritual" dig was about toward other people but I'm sure the religious questions people are asking you are completely out of love for you and your family. There is a natural division that is as concerning to LDS people as to non-LDS people. None of my family is LDS so I get this - I've lived it for 17 years - being in the religious minority of my fam.I think it's amazing and shows a ton of love that people are willing to ask you about a very sensitive and sometimes volatile subject.
The questions/remarks about how quickly they are getting married........ I just think the point other people are trying to make to you is - look at these amazing relationships that have happened quickly - even your own & mine too.Is this that relationship for Nan? At least your mother as well as Jeff were recently loving and devoted spouses. They know what it takes. I don't think anyone is downplaying the difficulties facing the merging of these two families. It's huge. I want you to know that after watching Nanette for many years - 17 yrs - back when you were to young to look at her as an adult - I have seen a woman that has spent her entire life thinking about her children/husband first!!! I have seen her place her own needs 10th behind the rest of you. I'm absolutely positive that your mother has not changed her inner-self to focus only on Jeff S. I absolutely believe that Nan would not enter into this without many many hours/days thoughts/prayers about the affect it will have on her own kids. That thought, that knowledge has to be comforting! Last but not least - Bunnies & flowers conversations happen sometimes when a deep enough relationship doesn't exist to lean on through disagreement.Maybe that is why it's great for you to talk with Brad because you both are similar in age w/similar life experiences & your already have a deep relationship.

Amy and The Mack Pack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taryn said...

Amy, I just have to say that your blog was really great to read and you are good with your words and know how to use them. I am excited for your Mom! :) It is a little quick, yes, but as Cathy says - she's an adult and I'm sure she has had you kids in mind every step of the way. Anyways, I love that a few of us in the extended fam are bloggers and that way we can keep in touch not only just to be informed, but also to get into some deeper issues like this post ( you are brave enough to share these feelings and I totally commend you ). Anywho... everything you are saying is valid and of course there are going to be bumps in the road, but you seem to have a great and positive attitude about it, which is what will make or break the whole experience. Love you!